Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov will look to seek a transfer away in January, according to the Daily Mirror.
The Bulgarian striker has just six months left to run on his current deal at Craven Cottage, but rather than wait for a free transfer in the summer, Berbatov will look for a cut price January move from the relegation threatened club.
The news is set to come as a huge blow to newly appointed boss Rene Meulensteen, who is set for his first game in charge against Tottenham tonight.
Meulensteen had only recently said how he hoped to bring the best out of the former Manchester United striker once more, having worked with him previously at Old Trafford during his time as a coach.
The Cottagers are among the lowest scorers in the Premier League this season, and Saturday’s humiliating 3-0 defeat at West Ham cost Martin Jol his job less than 24 hours later.
Berbatov managed 15 goals in all competitions last season, but has managed just one league goal this campaign against Crystal Palace on October 21.
His only other goal this season came against Everton in the Capital One Cup.
Many have questioned the 32-year-old’s desire and commitment for a relegation dogfight, and Turkish club Trabzonspor have confirmed their interest in the former Tottenham man.
Club president Ibrahim Haciosmanoglu said last week: “Berbatov has been on our agenda. We want better and better quality and are endeavouring to add that to our squad.”