The last few weeks have been fantastic for Leeds. We’ve seen new owners come onboard who instantly provided funds to recruit players that have made a real difference to the team, we’ve seen performances on the pitch improve in an impressive fashion, and we’ve seen the atmosphere finally return to Elland Road.

Unfortunately one thing we haven’t seen return, is the attendance.

Before the takeover was completed fans were understandably boycotting games to ensure that their money didn’t end up in Bates’ pocket, it made sense, even if it wasn’t agreed by everyone as the correct way to do things.

What doesn’t make sense is why, after the clubs ownership changed hands, the majority of fans that opted to boycott have failed to return. Throughout the entire takeover saga GFH were repeatedly told not to worry about falling attendances, as they would definitely pick up again once they became owners. How disappointed they must’ve been to look over a half empty stadium on their first game as owners against Crystal Palace.

I’ve heard a few excuses over the last few weeks – ‘I’m not coming back while Bates is still there’ being the main one.

I have to question this.

Bates is still Chairman for the time being, but he has sold his entire share of the club to GFH. He has zero power, zero say in anything and importantly, zero control. He is simply there to give GFH his advice on how to run things. That doesn’t even mean GFH have to take his advice, in fact I’d be surprised if him staying on ‘til the end of the season was anything other than a demand he made to ensure the takeover went through.

GFH own the club, any money you spend on tickets, programmes or merchandise goes to GFH and towards the rebuilding of the club.

If Bates being around on an advisory basis is enough to keep you from Elland Road then I’m sorry, but he’s beaten you.

Another excuse for staying away is ticket prices.

A quick check on the online ticketing system suggests that the Chelsea game is almost sold out. Tickets for this game are £24 each.

Not only that, but it’s for a cup game. It’s all good and well filling the stadium for Chelsea, but where are the other 20,000 fans on Saturdays while our team are scrapping for promotion?

The atmosphere at Elland Road lately has been amazing, those of us that have been there have given everything to the players and look how they’ve responded? Can you imagine the difference a 30,000 crowd would have on a game with all four stands bouncing?

The club is finally going places again, so forget Bates, It’s time to start supporting the team. Your team. They’ve shown more fight and desire over the last few games than any Leeds team in recent memory, not only that, but they’ve looked good.

This season looks like it could still have a very happy ending, promotion back to the Premier League is a serious possibility and I personally couldn’t imagine missing it for the world.

End the boycott, or you just might.

Twitter – @giddy_goose

What do you think?

entered for a chance to
WIN THE NEW ENGLAND KIT

Terms and Conditions

Why?

• Use your FB profile image
  • No need to remember a password
  • See which of your friends would like this

Note: We don't post to your wall

Comment without logging in

You will need to fill this out each time to comment so why not quickly login with Facebook!

What do you think?

entered for a chance to
WIN THE NEW ENGLAND KIT

Terms and Conditions

Why login with Facebook?

• Use your FB profile image
  • No need to remember a password
  • See which of your friends would like this

Note: We don't post to your wall

Page:
  • Christine Duval
    1 year ago

i have been going to ER since 1961 home & away, i could never stop going & taking it out on the team, what good is that.They are not the true fans, if they didn’t have Bates to whinge about it would be something else

• Leeds-Lad
      1 year ago

You are obviously also now confused and senile !

• Terence
    1 year ago

the takeover isnt complete yet. It amazes me, after all that Leeds have been through, that a the masses are willing to believe its all done and dusted when it isnt. And there are more than a few question marks over the heads of our new owners to be.

• Bobby
    1 year ago

Get your facts right. Takeover is complete 21st December. Until that date, Bates is still majority shareholder. No more dough to Monaco.

I shall be in attendance v Middlesborough if all has gone as planned and that b@stard no longer has a say in things.

• Simon
    1 year ago

As a Leeds Fan I have had enough of being told how to support my team, being insulted for the way I do it, when to attend and how to spend my money! Get over yourself…Bates is still owns the club until 21/12 and is still going to be assciated with it until the day he dies! I will return, but I will return when i am good and ready not when some arrogant pr!ck witrh a suppirority complex tells me to!

• Jordan
    1 year ago

No I agree who cares if he is still there as long as where on the up I don’t care and for the person who said there is questions to be answered about GHF there is questions about everyone who owns a football club no1 cares as long as they look after the club and this I think they will. And for people boycotting the game when has that ever made a difference never you think he cares if he want some extra doe he will sell someone as simple as that. And for other people who say we don’t own the stadium and TA what difference does it make to you non! If they come out and said we will spend 30 million or whatever sum it would be on these to or in the team and did a vote Ino what would win the stadium and training ground are the least of our worrys they are thing that can be done later they are going nowhere. That’s my rant done for the day see you at the game at the Ipswich game if you have got over your self MOT

• Leeds-Lad
      1 year ago

…. How little you understand.

• Jordan
    1 year ago

Sorry for the bad grammar just read that makes no sence I am at work it was rushed

• patrick hogan
    1 year ago

Wrong I’m afraid. Bates still owns 49 per cent. Not until Dec 21st will GFH own all 100 per cent. And it’s an insult to our beloved club that such a crook should be staying on as chairman and thereafter as President. The FA and FL hate him and we get the poison by association.

I hope they ‘flip it’ before Christmas – i.e. sell it to someone else – and ditch him. Then I’ll come back.

• coachking
    1 year ago

After years of abuse and extortion by Bates it is difficult not to remain cynical while he is still there. Making him a president after this season has got to be the biggest own goal GFH could have committed which is why I think there is more to it than we are being told.

• LeedsFanJed
    1 year ago

I was a boycotter, vowed never to go to a leeds game or put money into the club while that leech ken bates was here!

Since the take over I’ve been to every home leeds game and even purchased a shirt :).

Steve Turner the way you make these articles are rather childish, most botcotters will come back now bates has gone and I’m for one am glad i havent wasted money watching some of the dross over the last 2/3 years, while bates has sold our best players!

• Rog
      1 year ago

Childish is a little extreme, if you don’t agree with him then fair enough, but a lot of us can see the point made here. They’re the ones that were there over the last 2/3 years you mentioned, while you sat at home with your radio on eating crisps every match day.

• LeedsFanJed
        1 year ago

”while you sat at home with your radio on eating crisps every match day.”

You are even more childish bud ! :D

Theres too sides, 1 the sheep who kept goin n supportin n all that, then therers side 2 the boycotters who have boycotted to make their displeasure at the current regime known. It’s up to debate about who’s right and who’s wrong. But I belive those sheep givin bates all there money might have been doing more harm than good to the club they obviously love.

Also I kind of get this whole im a season ticket holder, i supprt my club through thick n thin, your not a proper fan because you dont do the same and give good money.. To me these fans do that to kind of elevate themselves, something they feel they derserve for being such a top fan lol.

Like saying im at the game while your eating your chrisps at home is like something you would here in a school playground!

• Rog
          1 year ago

The sheep who kept going and supporting?? Sorry, I thought you were a Leeds fan but you clearly don’t get it.

• LeedsFanJed
        1 year ago

I get it, those saying boycotters aren’t real fans tend to be the sheep giving bates all the money.

I still love all leeds fans though, even you Rug x

• Rog
          1 year ago

You gave two options, sheep who kept going and boycotters. Both are real fans, some of us just dont understand why fans are still prioritising making their own point to Bates, who doesn’t care about attendances anymore as he’s off, over supporting the team they’re a fan of.

• Leeds-Lad
      1 year ago

You will be sorry for returning too soon …. we have not heard the truth yet.

• LeedsFanJed
        1 year ago

I hope not mate, just feel that this outcome is probably the best we can get for now and its time for everyone to be 100% behing leeds.

• LeedsFanJed
    1 year ago

And yes ken bates is still here, but I’m happy dropping the boycott, knowing that hisdays are firmly coming to an end.

• Leeds-Lad
      1 year ago

Wait until he has gone …. keep up the pressure on him. … Bates , never to be trusted !

Page: