Schalke have opened the door for Julian Draxler’s proposed switch to Arsenal, with sporting director Horst Heldt admitting he can’t rule out anything between now and the end of the transfer window, reports the Metro.
The Gunners are said to be planning a late swoop for the German wonder-kid, and are sending a delegation to Germany this week, in the hope of thrashing out a deal before Friday’s transfer deadline.
Schalke are determined to hold out for the £37million release clause in the 20-year-old’s contract, but Arsenal remain hopeful a deal can be struck for a figure of around £25million.
Before Schalke’s Bundesliga clash with Hamburg on Sunday, Heldt said:
“I can’t exclude anything, I don’t know what other clubs are planning. I only know what happens in our club – and nothing happens at the moment, so we don’t bother with this.
“We are very calm with this thing.”
Draxler is understood to be Arsene Wenger’s top target this month, with reports suggesting he likes the idea of developing Draxler into a centre forward.
Wenger has previously developed Thierry Henry and Robin Van Persie from attacking midfielders to world-class strikers, and believes Draxler has the potential to emulate the pair.
However, his £37million release clause is only set to become valid at the end of the current season.