Tottenham are planning to make an official complaint to the FA about Stoke midfielder Charlie Adam, after a challenge on Paulinho which has ruled the Brazilian out of action for at least a month, according to the Daily Mail.
Adam was late in the tackle on Paulinho during Tottenham’s 3-0 win at White Hart Lane on Sunday, making it the fourth time he has left his mark on a Tottenham player since being promoted to the Premier League with Blackpool in 2010.
Adam had previously been involved in controversial incidents with Scott Parker, and twice with Gareth Bale.
Paulinho has suffered ankle ligament damage, and is likely to be ruled out for at least a month.
Adam was booed following his arrival as a second half substitute at White Hart Lane, whilst Paulinho made his feelings clear by exchanging heated words with Stoke boss Mark Hughes as he left the pitch.
Adam was quick to defend himself however, after receiving plenty of abuse from Tottenham fans for his actions.
Adam said: ‘Just for the record and the people tweeting me abuse saying so, I don’t and never have had anything against Spurs and I would never intend to injury a fellow professional.’
However Tottenham are still set to take the unusual route of writing to the FA to complain about Adam.
Gareth Bale branded the Scot a ‘coward’ after a rash challenge on the Welshman during a pre season friendly whilst Adam was playing for Liverpool.
Adam had previously caused Bale ankle ligament damage during his Blackpool days.
‘What he did was over the top,’ said Bale at the time. ‘Some people are like that and it’s just wrong. There are pictures on the internet of what he did before when he snapped all my ankle ligaments. I was out for three months that time and one player told me he went out to do it again.’