Some Manchester United fans still believe they can make a success of this season, despite the dismal start David Moyes has made to his brief tenure at Old Trafford.
But the mood has certainly been lifted by the news that Chelsea’s Juan Mata will be joining the Reds in a whopping £37million deal. Of course, big-money transfers doesn’t always mean success (just ask Liverpool and Andy Carroll) so United fans will be happy to see that Sports Interactive and Football Manager 2014 have gazed into their crystal ball and discovered the following:
· United finish 4th in the league on 76 points with Mata in the team
· They lose just once – to City – after the arrival of the Spaniard in January
· Important results include: a 2-1 win over Arsenal at the Emirates, a 2-2 draw with Liverpool at Old Trafford, a 1-0 win over Newcastle at St James’ Park and a 1-0 win over Everton at Goodison Park
· Mata makes 15 appearances for United, scoring 7 goals.
· He also makes 5 assists and earns an average rating of 8.04, placing him amongst the best performers in the league
· He scores on his debut against Stoke before following that up with another goal against Fulham the following week
· He also scores the winner against Newcastle
· He is also comfortably United’s best player in the second half of the season
So there you have it, proof that the diminutive Spaniard can save Manchester United’s season!