Southampton forward Jay Rodriguez has been ruled out of action for six months after rupturing his cruciate ligaments in his right knee, putting an end to any hopes he had of making England’s World Cup squad, reports the Guardian.
Rodriguez jarred his right knee after landing awkwardly while challenging for a high ball during Saturday’s 4-1 defeat to Manchester City, whilst the swelling in the area was so bad that the 24-year-old was forced to wait until Monday for a scan.
Roy Hodgson had previously said he was “still hoping against hope” that the injury was not as bad as first feared, but Southampton had always feared the worst.
The club have stated Rodriguez will undergo a “routine operation” shortly.
“Everyone at the club now wishes Jay well and we will support him, along with his family,” Southampton’s head of football development, Les Reed, said. “Jay has asked us to pass on his gratitude to everybody who has shown him their concern and sympathy. Jay is naturally disappointed, but is determined to get back playing for Southampton as soon as possible.”
The loss of Rodriguez is a blow for England’s World Cup squad, with the forward the second highest English goal scorer in the Premier League behind Daniel Sturridge.