Disgraced striker Nicolas Anelka is facing a worldwide ban following his sacking from West Brom, according to the Express.

The FA have stepped in and asked FIFA to impose a worldwide ban on the former Arsenal and Chelsea striker, after his controversial quenelle gesture.

The Baggies responded to the saga by terminating his contract for gross misconduct last Friday.

Anelka had been due to start a five match ban last Saturday – but now the FA have asked FIFA to ensure he is banned in whatever league he plays in next.

A FIFA spokesperson said: “We can confirm that the FA have contacted FIFA on the matter and requested the extension of the imposed sanction to have worldwide effect.

“We are currently analysing the information and documentation at our disposal.”

Anelka had previously taken to Twitter to say he was quitting the Baggies to protect his integrity.

The former France international said he could not meet the conditions set by the club in order for him to continue as a player with them.

Those conditions would have meant Anelka apologising to the club, the supporters, the sponsors and the ‘wider community’ for the impact and consequences of his controversial celebration, whilst the club would also have imposed a hefty fine.

*


  • Clarkeino
    1 year ago

    He has acted disrespectfully before and often highlighted as a trouble maker in the business. Seems this time he has gone too far

    Reply