Wigan star receives shock international call up
Wigan Athletic striker Franco Di Santo has received an international call up to the Argentina squad for their next round of fixtures.
The striker received his first call up in November for a friendly against Saudi Arabia and was able to record his debut for his country.
Despite this, the striker did not expect to again be recalled with the South American nation being able to call upon a wealth of talent.
Di Santo has however made the squad when notably Carlos Tevez failed to be included in the travelling party.
The Wigan striker believes that this is a strong indication of his progress under Roberto Martinez at the DW Stadium, and he was full of praise for his footballing education.
“When I saw my name in the squad list but Tevez’s wasn’t, it was a real surprise,” the 23-year-old told the Daily Mirror.
“It told me that what I was doing at Wigan was good. The gaffer has taught me many things.”
Di Santo has been a regular fixture in the starting line-up for the Latics so far and will be keen to maintain his form.
He is aware that regularly playing 90 minutes will increase his chances of receiving a call up.
Di Santo played the whole match at the DW stadium on Wednesday as his side lost 2-0 to Manchester City where as his fellow compatriot Carlos Tevez remained an unused substitute.
The Argentinian will hoping to feature at St James’ Park on Monday as his Wigan Athletic side take on Newcastle United in a 20:00 kick off.