According to The Sun’s live transfer blog (June 10, 6:00pm), Leeds United are ready to spend £35m in a double swoop for Liverpool’s Harry Wilson and Ryan Kent
This move would completely contradict everything Leeds fans thought they knew about their club’s transfer policy this summer. The attacking midfielder could cost £25m as reported by Football Insider – a fee which would see them break their transfer record for the first time since 2000 when they signed Rio Ferdinand for £18m.
This isn’t the first report that has linked Marcelo Bielsa’s side with the Liverpool duo. Ryan Kent has been linked by the Yorkshire Evening Post, while Football Insider have said that Leeds want Wilson.
Another article from Football Insider this week stated that the Welshman didn’t want to join United on loan, but the report didn’t rule out a permanent deal for the attacking midfielder either, with The Sun’s most recent story claiming that he could still be on his way to Elland Road.
Leeds fans should be sceptical about this most recent development as it goes against everything we know about the Whites’ transfer policy this summer.
Andrea Radrizzani has himself said that it will be a difficult period in terms of spending, but breaking their transfer record directly contradicts what he has said.
Phil Hay has previously stated that the club will rely on Premier League loans in the upcoming window and he has also speculated that they may have to sell before they buy if they want to splash the cash this summer.
While Wilson and Kent would certainly be strong additions to Bielsa’s squad, it seems unlikely that this move could actually happen unless something has drastically changed at Elland Road.