Nottingham Forest fans react to Martin O’Neill’s comments about Joao Carvalho

Nottingham Forest manager Martin O’Neill says that club-record signing Joao Carvalho needs to fight for his spot in the starting XI, according to quotes via The Nottingham Post, and Reds fans have been quick to react on Twitter.

The 66-year-old was speaking ahead of his side’s Championship clash against Wigan Athletic at The City Ground on Saturday, where he will be looking to pick up his first points in charge having been beaten 1-0 by Bristol City at home on his bow.

Carvalho joined Forest for £13.2m, as per BBC, during the summer transfer window, and had been a regular in the side under previous boss Aitor Karanka, but he was relegated to the substitutes’ bench against Reading and then in O’Neill’s first game at the helm.

The switch from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-4-2 formation certainly hasn’t helped the 21-year-old, who has primarily made an impact through the middle behind the striker so far this term, scoring three goals and providing a further six assists in 26 league outings, as per Transfermarkt.

Speaking on Thursday, via The Nottingham Post, the former Republic of Ireland boss said: “I think he is a very talented footballer.

“I think that, despite some very early promise, he is still getting used to the real demands of this league.

“He has definite talent, no question of that and, like anything else, it is up to him to fight his way into the side, hopefully.

“It is up to him to hopefully believe he will get a chance to play. I am sure during the coming weeks that could easily happen.”

Nottingham Forest supporters took to Twitter to have their say on the quotes, and while one said “O’Neill hasn’t got a clue about his squad”, another labelled O’Neill as “absolutely deluded”.

Here is just a selection of the Twitter reaction…

Martin O’Neill’s managerial return to Nottingham Forest didn’t go according to plan. Check out Matchday with Max’s gameday vlog in the video below…