Everton have had several injuries to key players over the last 12 months which has led to their struggle in the Premier League, and now an update has been revealed that will serve as yet another blow for Frank Lampard.
The Toffees boss took to his post-match interview after crashing out of the Carabao Cup at the Vitality Stadium on Tuesday night to reveal some good news, and also some bad news.
Regarding a boost for Lampard’s squad, he told the media: “Onana, we’re hoping will be fit to train tomorrow or Thursday. Gana we hope may be fit to train on Thursday.
However, there was yet another blow regarding the club’s main centre-forward, with the manager going on to say: “Dominic – we’re waiting on more news from a specialist. I’d be surprised if he’s fit for Saturday.”
There is no doubt that the potential of Calvert-Lewin missing out will be worrying news for Lampard as Everton head into their last Premier League fixture ahead of the World Cup.
The Merseysiders will travel back down to the south coast after losing 4-1 to Bournemouth on Tuesday night facing the newly-promoted side again on Saturday, and the Everton boss will be hoping his team can take all three points from the clash before the break.
Calvert-Lewin, who is currently being assessed, has struggled for fitness on numerous occasions over the last 18 months which has had a huge effect on the attacking threat the Toffees have imposed on their opponents.
Indeed, the 25-year-old missed large chunks of last season following a quadriceps and toe injury which inevitably contributed to a difficult relegation scrap for Everton, with Calvert-Lewin only making 18 appearances in all competitions and this season it has been a similar story.
The centre-forward missed out on the start of the campaign after suffering a hamstring injury and has made just six appearances in the 14 Premier League outings Everton have had so far, and now it is looking like he will be subjected to another stint on the sidelines.
Only Wolverhampton Wanderers and Nottingham Forest have scored fewer goals than Everton so far this season, proving that Lampard’s side are in desperate need of more goal-scoring opportunities and more natural finishers in their team. When you consider that the England international once bagged as many as 21 in one campaign, dating back to 2020/21, he is a colossal miss to the side.
With that being said, depending on the longevity of Calvert-Lewin’s injury it will become even more imperative for the powers at Goodison Park to reinvest in their forward line during the January transfer window and Lampard will be hoping they can find a player who can improve the attacking threat in 2023.