Former Everton striker Marcus Bent has exclusively told Football FanCast that he’s unsure whether the Toffees should offer Josh King a new contract.
The Canadian international made the switch to Merseyside on a short-term deal until the end of the season, but has struggled for the Blues, featuring for just 117 minutes and failing to score in eight Premier League appearances, and is yet to start a single league match.
Coupling in King’s goal-shy spell at Bournemouth earlier this season, the former Manchester United frontman has failed to score in the league, with his only three competitive goals coming in the FA Cup.
King has previously shown his ability to score goals in the topflight, but Bent, who netted seven across two campaigns at Goodison Park, said it’s down to Ancelotti.
He told Football FanCast:
“The team’s not been consistent, so it’s hard for him to be consistent, but when he is shining he’s played really well.
“To give him a new contract on the basis of what he’s been doing this season, the board and Carlo have got to go away and think about who they’re going to bring in, and if they can replace him with someone. That’s a hard one to answer because he’s a big part of the squad.”
King will be hoping to get more minutes when the Toffees face Brighton and Hove Albion on Monday night.