Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Everton to block mid-season loan for Anthony Gordon

Carlo Ancelotti must afford Anthony Gordon his time to shine at Goodison Park amid reports Everton will not sanction a mid-season loan for the “quality” midfielder.

What’s the word?

According to the Liverpool Echo, Gordon has attracted keen admirers from both at home and abroad but will be denied a potential temporary switch away from Merseyside in the January window.

Everton chiefs held firm in rejecting loan approaches for the 19-year-old talent throughout the summer and are expected to similarly rebuff any inquires at the turn of the year, despite chances to feature being few and far between under Ancelotti thus far this term.

The Italian has afforded Gordon just 32 minutes of Premier League football and been omitted from five of his 18-man squads, while also left out of the matchday plans for October’s 4-1 Carabao Cup rout of West Ham United after recording three assists in the prior two rounds.

Is Ancelotti mishandling Gordon's development?

Yes, he has to feature

Yes, he has to feature

No, Carlo knows best

No, Carlo knows best

Gordon is said to be relaxed over his situation at present and confident that he will regain a spot in Ancelotti’s thinking, providing he maintains high standards in training with the ex-Real Madrid boss placing a great deal of importance on the sessions at Finch Farm.

Time to shine

It is noted that Gordon did not hesitate to accept an offer to feature in David Unsworth’s Under 23s as they beat Chelsea last Sunday, having struggled to regain a spot in Ancelotti’s plans, but his exceptional display showed the teen star to now be performing at a higher level than the Premier League 2.

If Everton chiefs are thinking along the same lines, Ancelotti must realise that it is time to see Gordon shine in the senior side on a regular basis rather than drip-feeding him minutes on a here-and-there basis that will not allow the Liverpool-born prospect to settle.

Ancelotti has spoken admirably of Gordon’s potential when the academy graduate has featured for the first-team previously, noting in July via the official Everton website: “Anthony is doing well. He is young but showing good personality and character, when he plays from the start or goes on as a substitute.

1 of 10
Everton manager David Moyes on the bench at Old Trafford

In what year did Moyes take over at Goodison Park?

“I have a lot of confidence in him. He is a player for now and for the future. He just needs to play to increase his confidence. He has quality. He can improve his knowledge, but he is ready to play in the Premier League without a problem.”

Ancelotti again spoke highly of Gordon in September, when the wide midfielder knocked on his door seeking answers to why he had been overlooked on the opening weekend of the season.

“He wanted an explanation and so I explained to him the squad is really competitive and sometimes it can happen that the players are not involved,” Ancelotti said, via quotes by the Liverpool Echo.

“But this doesn’t mean I don’t believe in them. I believe and so he had the opportunity against Salford to show us his quality, he took the opportunity because he played really well.”

Chances have continued to be scarce since those comments and if Everton are to reject loan approaches for Gordon in January, then Ancelotti must afford the £4.5m-rated prospect far more chances than he has currently offered.

AND in other news, Carlo Ancelotti is set for a major £18m boost over Everton’s “courageous” dynamo.

Article title: Everton to block mid-season loan for Anthony Gordon

Please leave feedback to help us improve the site: