Carlo Ancelotti may have dealt the final blow to Cenk Tosun’s hopes of having a longer career at Goodison Park by overlooking the Everton striker in Tuesday night’s 2-1 win at Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Tosun was only awarded a seat on the bench for the Blues’ trip to Molineux despite seeing Dominic Calvert-Lewin create space for him to shine, with the England international unable to feature with a hamstring injury.
Ancelotti had been expected to favour Tosun in Calvert-Lewin’s absence to see if the Turkey ace could build any momentum into his game, after seeing the striker score his first goal of the season during Everton’s FA Cup third round win over Rotherham on Saturday.
Yet, the Italian tactician decided to throw a surprise into the works by utilising midfielders James Rodriguez and Gylfi Sigurdsson as two false nines, which would surely have left Tosun puzzled as to why he was not chosen to lead the line.
Ancelotti has frequently voiced support of Tosun’s abilities this season, with the former Chelsea boss claiming “I like his quality”, while hinting at a greater role over the festive period after the 29-year-old returned from a lengthy spell out following cruciate ligament surgery.
“From him, I expect what he is able to do, goals. I think he is really good in the box, really efficient in the box,” Ancelotti said, via quotes by the Liverpool Echo.
Tosun sustained the blow while away on loan with Crystal Palace last season but always envisaged returning to Goodison Park, despite Everton’s deal with the Eagles featuring a £20m option for south London side to purchase him.
“I feel like a new transfer for Everton. All the things I have done wrong, I will not do them again,” Tosun said back in November. “I am different now. I train and prepare better to help the team more.
“I have to be fit and, when I get the chance, I have to use that chance, to be there to score and help the team.”
Tosun must now be questioning what more he has to do to earn Ancelotti’s trust, with Tuesday night’s omission the sixth occasion the Blues’ £27m signing has been left an unused substitute, as the now £6.5m-rated forward waits to build on his mere 43 minutes of Premier League football for the season.
Yet he may never get that chance with West Bromwich Albion thought to have held talks over a deal that will see Tosun reunite with Sam Allardyce, who lauded the attacker as “the best in Europe” for the price he agreed to pay Besiktas in January 2018.
Ancelotti’s decision to overlook Tosun was surely a sign that he is willing to move on from the £60,000-per-week striker, and that Everton must look to get rid. It just remains to be seen who, if anyone, agrees to match whatever the Toffees demand.
AND in other news, Carlo Ancelotti must cash-in on a £6.5m-rated outcast unfit for Everton…