Journalist, and transfer guru, Fabrizio Romano has denied claims Paris Saint-Germain are in talks to buy Moise Kean from Everton after his terrific spell on loan in the French capital.
While speaking to Give Me Sport, Romano claimed that PSG would love to keep Kean at Les Parc des Princes beyond his season-long loan, but said that they are yet to hold any negotiations with Everton.
Kean has scored 11 goals for the Ligue 1 giants in 18 appearances across all competitions, including three in his last three top-flight outings. He opened the scoring against Stade Brest on Saturday night, to take his number of goals in the current campaign to the same total as his haul from the previous two seasons combined.
There had been talk of a potential £31m fee being discussed, with Everton loath to selling the Italy international for anything less than the £27.5m paid to Juventus when Kean was signed under Marco Silva in the summer of 2019.
However, Romano denies the speculation surrounding Kean’s future, and suggests any potential deal for the £53,000-per-week forward is likely to be on hold until the end of the season.
“What I’m told about Kean is that there is no negotiation between Paris Saint-Germain and Everton and yes, for sure Paris Saint-Germain would love to keep the player but Everton have always been so clear, they want him back at the club,” Romano told Give Me Sport.
“So, if Paris Saint-Germain wants to sign him, they will have to make an important bid and convince Everton.
“Let’s see if, next summer, they will do this kind of business but at the moment, it’s not so easy. And, for sure, Everton will fight for Moise Kean [and say] ‘you will make an important bid or the player will be back’ and he’s doing an amazing job for Paris Saint-Germain but at the moment, negotiations are quiet.”
Romano denying claims that PSG have made efforts to sign Kean on a permanent deal should excite Everton and Ancelotti, as the Italian could be set to welcome a striker back to Goodison Park who is bubbling with the confidence that his maiden year on Merseyside stripped him of.
Kean was rarely able to show why Everton fought for his signature in 2019 during his first season in England, with the 20-year-old netting just twice in 33 games across all competitions and struggling to start fixtures with only four opening roles under Ancelotti.
Yet, life in Paris has been much kinder to the 8-cap international, who would be able to use what he’s learned from his time training and playing beside the likes of Neymar and Kylian Mbappe as he would hope to rival Dominic Calvert-Lewin for game time if he does come back in the Premier League next term.
Former PSG boss Thomas Tuchel could not sing Kean’s praises much more prior to his sacking, too.
“[Kean] has a big heart, he puts on intensity. He is not afraid, he is courageous. He does what is necessary,” Tuchel said, via quotes by BeIN Sports. “I wouldn’t want to be a defender against him right now, it’s really hard to play against him.”
And even if Kean ultimately opts to hand in a transfer request, Everton will be able to tout his services to a wider group on the open market to drive up their asking price this summer than selling to PSG now, given how well he’s performed in France.
AND in other news, Marcel Brands must sign “quick” Everton target who “makes football look easy”.