PL25: Arsenal’s Eight Heaviest Premier League Defeats

Arsenal’s 4-0 thrashing at Liverpool prior to the international break was one of their eight Premier League losses by four goals or more. Interestingly, half of these hammerings have now come at Anfield and half have come in the last three years. Here’s a look at all eight…

Liverpool 4-0 Arsenal (6 May 1998)

With the Premier League title already secured, Arsenal suffered their biggest defeat in Premier League history at the time as they were thrashed 4-0 at Anfield. Paul Ince had scored twice in quick succession before Michael Owen gave Roy Evans’ side a 3-0 lead before half-time. Oyvind Leonhardsen wrapped up the scoring late on. The likes of Alex Manninger, Matthew Upson, Gilles Grimandi, Stephen Hughes, Luís Boa Morte and Christopher Wreh all started this game for the Gunners.

Liverpool 4-0 Arsenal (23 December 2000)

Liverpool handed Arsenal another hiding, this time the final game before Christmas. Gérard Houllier’s side only led 1-0 at half-time, thanks to an early strike from Steven Gerrard but goals from Michael Owen on the hour, Nick Barmby and Robbie Fowler in stoppage time secured a convincing win for the Reds. Liverpool would go on to finish third in the league, winning the UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League Cup that season.

Manchester United 6-1 Arsenal (25 February 2001)

That same season Arsenal were handed a drubbing by Premier League rivals Manchester United. Dwight Yorke had helped himself to a hat-trick inside the opening 22 minutes, either side of Thierry Henry’s equaliser. Ole Gunnar Solskjær had made it 5-1 before half-time and Teddy Sheringham then sealed Arsenal’s biggest Premier League defeat at the time late on.

Manchester United 8-2 Arsenal (28 August 2011)

Arsenal’s heaviest Premier League defeat lasted for a decade until they were humiliated at Manchester United once again. Sir Alex Ferguson’s side ran riot against the Gunners with goals from Ashley Young, Danny Welbeck and Wayne Rooney in the first half. Rooney would end the game with a hat-trick and Young a brace. Carl Jenkinson was sent off late on, though Robin van Persie’s consolation in the 74th minute meant this was the first time Arsenal had actually scored twice in one game at Old Trafford in the Premier League era.

This prompted Arsène Wenger to sign Park Chu-young, André Santos, Per Mertesacker and Mikel Arteta in the final two days of the transfer window.

Liverpool 5-1 Arsenal (8 February 2014)

Martin Škrtel scored twice in the opening 10 minutes as Arsenal’s defence went AWOL at Anfield in February 2014. Raheem Sterling and Daniel Sturridge then scored in the next 10 minutes as thoughts of a Premier League record were on the cards. However, Sterling’s strike early in the second half was the only other goal Brendan Rodgers’ side would add before Jack Wilshere scored a consolation goal from the penalty spot for the visitors.

Chelsea 6-0 Arsenal (22 March 2014)

Samuel Eto’o and André Schürrle had already given Chelsea an early 2-0 lead before Kieran Gibbs was mistakenly sent off in the 16th minute for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s handball on the goalline. Eden Hazard scored the resulting spot kick. Oscar bagged a brace while Mohamed Salah scored his first-ever Premier League goal as José Mourinho’s side rubbed salt into Arsenal’s wounds.

Southampton 4-0 Arsenal (26 December 2015)

Arsenal’s final game before Christmas 2015 was a fine 2-1 victory over Manchester City, but they were then hammered at Southampton on Boxing Day. Cuco Martina opened the scoring with a fine long-range effort before Shane Long scored a brace either side of José Fonte’s goal.

Liverpool 4-0 Arsenal (27 August 2017)

The latest of Arsenal’s heaviest defeats prior to the international break as Liverpool tore them apart from the off. Roberto Firmino found himself free in the box to head Jürgen Klopp’s side into a 17th minute lead. Sadio Mané’s fine strike five minutes before half-time gave Liverpool the 2-0 cushion at the break that they fully deserved. Mohamed Salah finally scored just before the hour having threatened all game, and substitute Daniel Sturridge even found time to get on the scoresheet.