Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti has refused to be drawn on his side’s bid to sign unsettled Liverpool striker Fernando Torres.
Chelsea had a rumoured bid of around 35 million pounds rejected by Liverpool, and despite speculation the Spaniard was keen on a move away from Anfield, Ancelotti refused to discuss the situation on Friday.
“I don’t want to speak about this, you will have to ask the club. He is not my player and I have to have respect for Liverpool. I don’t like to speak about this,” Ancelotti said.
The 51-year-old Italian said he was pleased with the backing he had been given by the club’s board to bolster his squad.
“I am happy because the club is doing a fantastic job in this transfer market. The club is trying to do everything to improve the squad,” he said.
And Ancelotti defended striker Didier Drogba who, despite scoring 10 goals this season, has been plagued by inconsistency.
“Drogba doesn’t have a problem. He can play with anybody,” Ancelotti said.
“For tomorrow I don’t need more strikers. Maybe in the future, I don’t know.”
Meanwhile, Ancelotti has failed in his bid to land Brazilian defender David Luiz from Portuguese side Benfica, with the club releasing a statement declaring talks had halted.
“The negotiations between Benfica and Chelsea FC with regard to the potential transfer of David Luiz, were concluded today without the parties reaching an agreement,” the statement read.
“Benfica are happy to be able to keep in their ranks a player with the sporting quality and moral shown by David Luiz.”
“Unlike some news that had come up these last few days, David Luiz never tried to force his exit, he is an exemplary professional, worthy of the shirt he wears.”