Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed he could spend again before the summer transfer windows closes. There may also be further departures from the Emirates Stadium, the Frenchman said, prior to next Friday’s deadline.
With the losses of Robin Van Persie to Manchester United and Alex Song to Barcelona, Wenger has added Lukas Podolski, Santi Cazorla and Olivier Giroud to his attacking options. And Wenger is not ruling out another dive into the market if the right player emerges. He told the official Arsenal website:
“I don’t want make a promise that I cannot keep. It does not only depend on me. But there still could be some action on the transfer market – ins and outs. We are working [in the market]. We’ll see what we can do. The transfer market is open for two months and yet for one month and three weeks it is nearly closed. It wakes up completely in the last week and then every minute becomes important.”
The Gunners drew 0-0 to Sunderland at the Emirates on the opening day of the season, and Wenger has admitted he is happy with the state of his squad at the moment: “They are all international-stature players. I focus highly on that. If we get these players back in good shape then we have a very, very strong squad.” Arsenal head to the Britannia Stadium to face Stoke City on Sunday, where England midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is expected to make a return to first team action.