Blackburn Rovers 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur – Match Review

Rafael Van Der Vaart scored two superb goals to hand Tottenham victory against Blackburn at Ewood Park to further increase the pressure on Rovers boss Steve Kean.

The classy Dutchman scored in each half to hand Tottenham their sixth win in seven games which keeps them in the hunt for fourth place also continuing his hot streak in front of goal. Mauro Formica had given Rovers fans hope after he equalised but they were once again left frustrated as their side were outclassed by Spurs in every department. The Ewood faithful vented their frustrations in the direction of Kean with several protests, posters and banners calling for his exit despite it being only his 30th game in charge since taking over last November. Their dissatisfaction is justified though with Kean presiding over six wins during a reign that has seen the club slump to the foot of the table.

Despite their winless run stretching to four games on the back of last weeks 1-1 draw with QPR the home side were bight in the early exchanges with Junior Hoilett going close firing the ball over Brad Friedel’s crossbar after a jinking run. Tottenham threatened themselves and youngster Jason Lowe produced a superb block to deny Gareth Bale before Gael Givet thwarted Emmanuel Adebayor. Spurs were far from their best but they needed only 12 minutes to break the deadlock with Van Der Vaart finishing off a delightful move. Adebayor sent the galloping Walker away down the right before cutting the ball back for the Dutchman to finish past Paul Robinson. The visitors were now in the ascendancy and should have been two up minutes later only to be denied by some fine goalkeeping from Robinson who was alert to keep out Bales cross the nicked off Martin Olsson. Rovers rallied and were looking dangerous from set pieces with Christopher Samba’s height causing problems and when he came to meet a Morten Gamst Pedersen free kick the ball fell to Formica who showed great feet to work space and drive the ball past Friedel.

Spurs threatened again before the half was out with Luka Modric seeing his 25-yard strike turned around the post by Robinson before Hoilett threatened at the other end testing Friedel with a stinging strike. The scoreline remained level going into the second period until Van Der Vaart popped up again to put Spurs into the lead for the second stroking the ball home from 20-yards after picking up a loose ball. Rovers weren’t going to go down without a fight continuing their aerial assault and should have had a penalty after Formica was fouled by Benoit Assou Ekotto following confusion with Friedel. The veteran American keeper showed he hasn’t lost any of his agility despite slowly poking into his forties superbly tipping Samba’s header over the bar. Substitute Yakubu then failed to covert a teasing Olsson cross as Rovers supporters intensified their protests at the final whistle as Kean failed once again to guide his team to victory.