Real Madrid defender Ricardo Carvalho has been ruled out of Portugal’s Euro 2012 qualifier with Norway on Saturday.Carvalho, 33, picked up a back injury during training earlier this week which leaves coach Paulo Bento without his best centre back for the game at the Estadio da Luz, but he said the team would be able to cover the loss.
“One option less but it does not alter anything regarding our way of playing and the game plan we have,” Bento said.
“We will not be making any types of alterations because of the fact that Ricardo cannot play.”
Even without Carvahlo, there is still plenty of class in the Portugal team, with Manchester United winger Nani and Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo in the squad.
Portugal drew their Group H opener with Cyprus and lost away against Norway but they can move top of the group with a win over the unbeaten Norwegians at home on Saturday.
“They have a team which have good defence and consistency, who still have not lost at this stage in the group, and for this reason occupy first place,” Bento said.
“But tomorrow we have an opportunity to win at home, to reach first place and make them lose for the first time at this stage of the qualifiers.”