Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has been given permission by the club’s owners to bring in fresh talent during the January transfer window.
Dalglish’s return to Anfield as a replacement for sacked manager Roy Hodgson is yet to produce a win on the field, but the Reds legend said he will not rush into the market looking for a quick-fix.
“We had a positive meeting yesterday with (owners) John (Henry) and Tom (Werner) in which we discussed many things,” Dalglish said.
“One of them was obviously transfers. There’s no problem with transfers. As long as we are responsible we can go and look for players, try to sign them and bring them in here.”
“I’m not going to sit here and give you names or comment on every question that is asked about an individual player.”
“We certainly won’t talk about sums of money. Every time I go into the transfer market I am responsible and I will continue to be. I will try and spend the club’s money as diligently as I would spend my own.”
The 59-year-old also confirmed striker Ryan Babel was almost out the door at Anfield, with the Dutchman yet to make up his mind on a move to Bundesliga outfit Hoffenheim.
“We’ve accepted a bid from Hoffenheim. Ryan is considering what he wants to do. That’s his right. A transfer only goes through if three parties agree,” he said.
Liverpool will look for their first win under their new manager against second-from-bottom Wolves on Saturday, but Dalglish is wary of the threat posed by Mick McCarthy’s men.
“They were excellent last week at Man City, especially in the first half hour. Even when they went 4-1 down, which was a bit unfair I thought, they pulled it back to 4-3,” Dalglish said.
“If Mick McCarthy is in charge of a team they are not going to lie down, are they? They are going to work as hard as they can and we know that from first-hand experience.”
“There are no games in the Premiership where you can rest a couple here or a couple there. They are all really difficult games.”