Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FA Cup Fourth Round Review

Non-League Luton pulled off a shock giant killing at Norwich while League One MK Dons put QPR to the sword at Loftus Road. Arsenal hd a scare at the Amex Stadium against Brighton, Wigan narrowly saw off Macclesfield and Middlesbrough broke Aldershot dreams with a late snatch and grab at the Riverside Stadium.

David beats Goliath…

Norwich City 0-1 Luton Town: Blue Square Premier minnows Luton recorded the upset of the day by beating Norwich at Carrow Road and becoming the first non-league team to knock a top-flight side out of the cup since 1989. The Hatters, currently sixth in English football’s fifth-tier, looked to have done enough to earn a replay Kenilworth Road. But 74th minute substitute Scott Rendell had other ideas. Barely six minutes after coming off the bench the midfielder nipped in at the near post to convert JJ O’Donnell’s cross to earn Paul Buckle’s side a famous victory.

QPR 2-4 MK Dons: MK Dons sailed into the fifth round with a resounding victory against Premier League strugglers QPR at Loftus Road. The League One promotion hopefuls found themselves 4-0 by the hour mark and with a clear passage to the last 16. They were helped somewhat by Armand Traore putting through his net in the fourth minute before Ryan Lowe slotted past Rob Green five minutes before the break. Lowe then set up substitute Ryan Harley to convert from close range with Darren Potter rifling home in the 56th minute to put the result beyond doubt. Rangers staged a late comeback with Jay Bothroyd heading in with seven minutes left and Fabio poking home in stoppage time but it wasn’t enough to salvage a replay for Harry Redknapp’s embarrassed troops.

Millwall 2-1 Aston Villa: John Marquis’ late winner earned Championship promotion chasers Millwall a place in round five on Friday night and ensured Aston Villa would end a torrid week on another low note. After being denied a place in the Capital One Cup final by League Two Bradford on Tuesday, Paul Lambert’s men were faced with lower league opposition once again in the form of the Lions. And things appeared to be looking up when Darren Bent’s scuffed shot in the 22nd minute found its way into the net to give Villa the lead. But their vulnerability from set pieces was exposed five minutes later when Danny Shittu headed in from a corner. And with a minute left of normal time Marquis headed Adam Smith’s cross against the bar before tucking home the rebound to send the Den into raptures.

Close shaves…

Stoke City 0-1 Manchester City: Pablo Zabaleta spared Manchester City the stress of a replay with a late winner to dump 10-man Stoke out at the Britannia Stadium. After a largely uneventful first half, that saw City lose captain Vincent Kompany to injury, the game finally broke into life when Glenn Whelan was fortunate not to be shown a straight red card for a two footed lunge on Javi Garcia. The visitors shrugged that off and with five minutes left Zabaleta robbed Ryan Shotton to feed Sergio Aguero and then get on the end of his fellow Argentinian’s cross to beat Thomas Sorensen to send Roberto Mancini’s men into the last-16.

Bolton Wanderers 1-2 Everton: Johnny Heitinga’s late goal secured a fifth round spot for Everton as they left it late to see off Bolton at the Reebok Stadium. The Toffees opened the scoring after 18 minutes when Steven Pienaar deflected Victor Anichebe’s shot past Andy Lonergen before Marvin Sordell beat Tim Howard at the near post from Darren Pratley’s cross. Both teams strived to find the crucial second goal that would take them into the last-16 and Heitinga provided it for David Moyes men when he collected a loose ball and fired past Lonergen.

Brighton & Hove Albion  2-3 Arsenal: Theo Walcott was the hero for Arsenal after his late winner settled a five goal thriller with Brighton at the Amex Stadium. Oliver Giroud got the ball rolling in the 16th minute with a beautifully measured finish from 20-yards but Ashley Barnes’ headed in David Lopez cross after 33 minutes to ensure Albion went into the break level with their Premier League opponents. Giround struck again 10 minutes after half time with a neat finish past Casper Ankergren to put the Gunners in front only for £2m Argentine striker Leonardo Ulloa to peg them back again with a goal on his debut for the Championship club. However a third comeback was beyond Gus Poyet’s men as Walcott’s 85th minute goal proved decisive for Arsene Wenger’s men and guaranteed they would be in the fifth round draw.

Macclesfield Town 0-1 Wigan Athletic: Jordi Gomez’s first half goal was enough for Wigan to squeeze past Macclesfield and make it to the fifth round for only the second time in their history. The Spanish midfielder struck from the penalty after only seven minutes to score what would eventually prove to be the winner for Roberto Martinez’s side. Thierry Audel’s clumsy tackle on Callum McManaman gifted Gomez the opportunity to score from the spot and, despite a spirited effort from the Silkmen, they couldn’t force an equaliser against their Premier League opponents.

Middlesbrough 2-1 Aldershot Town: Lukas Jutkiewicz cruelly extinguished Aldershot’s hope of taking Middlesbrough to a replay with an injury time winner at the Riverside Stadium. After 83 goalless minutes proceedings sprang into life on Teesside when Jutkiewicz headed in Adam Reach with seven minutes to go. The League Two side had a replay in their sights when Danny Hylton notched a dramatic leveller in the 89th minute only for Jutkiewicz to pop up at the death and spare the blushes of Tony Mowbray’s side.

And the rest…

Fulham 1-4 Manchester United

Derby County 0-3 Blackburn Rovers

Huddersfield Town 1-1 Leicester City

Hull City 0-1 Barnsley

Reading 4-0 Sheffield United

Article title: FA Cup Fourth Round Review

Please leave feedback to help us improve the site: