Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FA Cup Third Round Review

Macclesfield, Brighton and Luton all provided the obligatory ‘cupset’ as the FA Cup returned in all its splendour at the Third Round stage. Tottenham avoided a giant-killing at home to Coventry to progress as did Middlesbrough as they faced non-league Hastings and Manchester City, who locked horns with Watford. Robin Van Persie rescued Manchester United from the jaws of defeat against West Ham, while it was business as usual for Demba Ba on his Chelsea debut against Southampton

The underdog prevails…

Macclesfield 2-1 Cardiff: Matthew Barnes Homer wrote his name into Macclesfield folklore, scoring two late goal to knock Championship leaders Cardiff out at the third round stage. The Welshmen looked on course for victory after Nathaniel Jervis’ 57th minute but Barnes Homer’s late brace earned a surprise victory for the Blue Square Premier League side.

Brighton 2-0 Newcastle: Alan Pardew’s woes deepened as Brighton knocked his Newcastle side out of the FA Cup for the second successive season at the Amex Stadium. Andreas Orlandi’s improvised volley nudged the Championship side in front just after the half hour before Will Hoskins clipped the Magpies wings with a decisive second goal three minutes to ensure the Seagulls would enjoy another Premier League scalp.

Luton 1-0 Wolves: Alex Lawless’ volley a minute after the break proved enough for non-league Luton to record a memorable victory over Wolves at Kenilworth Road and lead the Championship clubs board to sack manager Stale Solbakken after just six-months in the Molineux hotseat.

Nottingham Forest 2-3 Oldham: Nottingham Forest were left stunned after a spirited fightback from Oldham booked the League One strugglers a place in round four. The Championship playoff hopefuls looked comfortable after Matt Smith’s 13th minute own goal sent them in ahead at the break. But two goals in four second half minutes from Robbie Simpson put the Latics in front at the City Ground before a stunning free kick from Jose Baxter made it 3-1 just after the hour. Billy Sharp set up a tense finale with a 90th minute strike but it wasn’t enough for Forest.

Barnsley 1-0 Burnley: Championship bottom club Barnsley put their league troubles to one side as teenage striker Danny Rose scored his first senior goal five minutes from time at Oakwell to clinch a morale boosting victory at the expense of playoff chasing Burnley.

Wigan 1-1 Bournemouth: Bournemouth came within 19 minutes of a huge Premier League scalp after Jordi Gomez’s late equaliser handed Wigan an FA Cup lifeline at the DW Stadium. The League One outfit snatched the lead just before half time through Euan O’Kane’s long range strike but were pegged back by Gomez as he tucked home the rebound from his missed penalty to set up a replay at Dean Court.

Avoided the dreaded giantkilling…

Spurs 3-0 Coventry: Clint Dempsey scored twice as Tottenham eased into the fourth round with victory over Coventry at White Hart Lane. It only took Spurs 37 minutes to ensure their passage with Dempsey opening the scoring with a close range finish before his misdirected shot was turned in by Gareth Bale just after the half hour. And the American completed the scoring just before half time with a headed at the far post.

Aston Villa 2-1 Ipswich: Darren Bent scored on his return to the Aston Villa starting XI as they came from behind to beat Mick McCarthy’s Ipswich at Villa Park. Michael Chopra put the Tractor Boys in front on the half hour, via a deflection from Eric Lichaj, before Bent levelled just 51 seconds after the break with a clinical finish. And safe passage the next stage was achieved when Andreas Weimann’s headed in seven minutes from the end.

Southampton 1-5 Chelsea: Demba Ba scored twice on his Chelsea debut as they began the defence of their trophy with a resounding win over Southampton at St Mary’s. Jay Rodriguez put the Saints in front after 22 minutes but they were pegged back when Ba touched in Juan Mata’s Ba touched in Juan Mata’s shot to register his first Blues strike. Victor Moses scored on the stroke of half time to put the visitors in front before Branislav Ivanovic’s header made it 3-1 just after the break. Ba was on target again in the 61st minute before Frank Lampard’s late penalty added further gloss to the scoreline and became the clubs second highest ever goalscorer.

Middlesbrough 4-1 Hastings: A lively display from non-league Hastings wasn’t enough to deny Middlesbrough transit to the fourth round at the Riverside Stadium. The Championship high-flyers were three goals to the good as the 68th minute approached courtesy of two strikes from Merouane Zemmama and Andre Halliday’s close range finish. Bradley Goldberg gave the travelling Arrow’s fans a chance to celebrate with a 69th minute goal but Ishmael Miller killed off any hope of a comeback with a late fourth for Boro.

Crawley 1-3 Reading: Adam Le Fondre’s two goals ensure Reading progressed to round four after the had to come from behind to dispatch League One Crawley. Nicky Adams had the Broadfield Stadium dreaming after scoring the quickest goal of the day with just 14 seconds on the clock. An equaliser from Le Fondre followed in the 13th minute and doubled his tally with a penalty in the second half after Noel Hunt had put the Royal’s in front just before the break.

Man City 3-0 Watford: Roberto Mancini put a difficult week behind him as his Manchester City side barely broke sweat in their tie with Watford at the Etihad Stadium. City were 2-0 ahead by first half time after goals from Carlos Tevez and Gareth Barry but had to wait until the 90th minute for a third goal, which was scored by 17-year-old Marcos Lopes.

Peterborough 0-3 Norwich: There was messing about at London Road as Norwich turned in an accomplished display to see off Championship strugglers Peterborough. Ellio Bennett and Simeon Jackson had the Canaries two goals to the good at the break before Robert Snodgrass added a third 20 minutes from time.

Leicester 2-0 Burton Albion: First half goals from Chris Wood and Richie De Laet guaranteed Leicester’s name would be the fourth round draw as they recorded a comfortable win over League Two side Burton Albion.

We’ll meet again..

West Ham 2-2 Man Utd: Robin Van Persie came off the bench to rescue Manchester United and deny West Ham a deserved spot in the fourth round draw. United had taken the lead in the 23rd minute through Tom Cleverley’s composed finish but two headed goals either side of the break from James Collins put the Hammers on course to progress. But with just seconds left Ryan Giggs picked out Van Persie to find the net with a brilliant strike.

Crystal Palace 0-0 Stoke: Championship promotion chasers Crystal Palace face an unenviable trip to the Britannia Stadium to face Stoke in a third round replay after the two sides couldn’t be separated in a stalemate at Selhurst Park.

Fulham 1-1 Blackpool: Girgious Karagounis saved Fulham from a cup upset with a goal 10 minutes from time to deny Championship Blackpool passage to the fourth round. A drilled strike from Ludovic Sylvestre on the hour mark looked to have earned victory for the Tangerines until Karagounis lashed home to set up a replay at Bloomfield Road.

QPR 1-1 West Brom: A last gasp goal from Kieron Dyer ensured QPR lived to fight another FA Cup day as they forced a replay with West Brom. Shane Long’s 79th minute strike was cancelled out by Dyer who scored with virtually the last kick of the game at Loftus Road to get his name onto the scoresheet for the first time since 2007.

Bolton 2-2 Sunderland: A second half fightback from Sunderland ensured their avoided an embarrassing exit at the hands of Championship strugglers Bolton. Goals either side of half time from Lee Chung-Yong and Marvin Sordell had the Trotters cruising but Martin O’Neill’s men regrouped and Connor Wickham’s close range finish on the hour mark was followed by an equaliser in the 75th minute from Craig Gardner, meaning they’ll have to go trough it all again at the Stadium of Light.

Hull City 1-1 Leyton Orient: Nick Proschwitz dramatic equaliser spared Hull’s blushes against League One side Leyton Orient at the KC Stadium. David Mooney header with 12 minutes left looked to have booked the The O’s a fourth round berth but were pegged back when Proschwitz nodded in at the death.

Leeds 1-1 Birmingham: Luciano Becchio’s equaliser earned Leeds a replay against fellow Championship side Birmingham at Elland Road. A stunning long range strike from Wade Elliot had Brum in front on 32 minutes but a neat finish from Becchio, his 19th goal of the season, meant the tie will be decided at St Andrews later this month.

Southend 2-2 Brentford: Tom Corr was the hero for Southend as his two goals denied League One Brentford a place in the hat for the fourth round. The Bees found themselves two goals to the good when Tom Adeyemi scored in the 29th minute and Ryan Cresswell headed into his own net 10 minutes later. But just 60 seconds later Corr nodded in to reduce the deficit and completed the comeback in the second half, converting Kevan Hurst’s free-kick.

Sheffield Wednesday 0-0 MK Dons: League One MK Dons will fancy their chances of making it to the fourth round on home soil after a goalless draw with Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough.

See you in the fourth round..

Derby 5-0 Tranmere
Blackburn 2-0 Bristol City
Oxford 0-3 Sheff Utd
Millwall 1-0 Preston
Charlton 0-1 Huddersfield
Aldershot 3-1 Rotherham: 

Article title: FA Cup Third Round Review

Please leave feedback to help us improve the site: