More than a third of football fans would take a first date to watch their favourite football team, research by Capital One has revealed.
33% of football loving men said they would go to the football on a first date and over 45% of women would do the same. Fans of Birmingham City feel their ground is the most romantic at 72%, in contrast to just 14% of Stoke City supporters.
The survey of 1,000 fans marked the launch of the Capital One 2 for 1 promotion, giving nearly 10,000 supporters the chance to buy two tickets for the price of one during Rounds 1 and 2 of the Capital One Cup.
When it came to a match-day companion supporters prefer to watch from the stands with their mates, 43% fans claiming that they most enjoy attending a match with a friend, whilst fans of Chelsea are most likely to opt to attend a game with their partner.
Sunderland supporters get started the youngest, with 37% attending their first match before their eighth birthday.
Capital One, the credit card company and sponsor of The Football League Cup, is giving fans of participating home clubs the chance to claim an additional match ticket for free* when purchasing their own ticket.
The Capital One 2 for 1 promotion will be running across Rounds 1 and 2 of the Capital One Cup 2013/14, with special codes live in local radio and newspaper media from 8th July. Supporters can claim their free ticket by quoting the code when purchasing their ticket from the club box office.
Michael Woodburn, Chief Marketing Officer at Capital One, added:
“At Capital One we are delighted to announce a brilliant offer for fans, allowing around 10,000 supporters to introduce a friend to football in Round 1 or Round 2. This research shows fans attend matches in many different ways, and we’re thrilled to help so many fans enjoy the start of another great journey in the Capital One Cup.”
First Date Stats
– 38% of football fans go to a football game on a first date
– NW fans are most likely to go to a football game on a first date with 43% claiming they would whilst NE are least likely with only 31% claiming they would go to a game
– 45% of women would go to football on a first date
– 33% of men would go to football on a first date
– Birmingham City fans most likely to go to football on a first date at 72%
– Stoke City fans least likely to take first date to football with 85% claiming they wouldn’t followed closely by Newcastle Untied fans at 80%
Football Companion Stats
– 43% of football fans would prefer to go to a game with a friend
– 4% of football fans would prefer to go to a game alone
– Male fans prefer to go to a game with their friends, with 53% saying that would go with mate
– Female fans would rather go to a game with their partner at 43% whereas only 13% of men would go with their partner
– 13% of fans would go to a games with their dad compared to a mere 2% with their mum
– East Midlands are moist likely to take a friend to a game 45%
First Games Stats
– Most football fans went to their first professional game between the ages of nine and 15 at 38%
– NE fans are the youngest with 34% going to their first before they’re eight years old
– Sunderland supporters get started the youngest, with 37% attending their first match before their eighth birthday.
– Birmingham City attract older fans with 18% not going to their first professional game until they’re 26