Fernandez ban lifted

Luis Fernandez has been allowed to return to managing Israel after a ban from all football-related activity was lifted by FIFA.

The former Paris Saint-German and Espanyol coach was handed the ban in February after becoming involved in a dispute with former club Al Rayyan, who claimed the Frenchman owed them 400,000 euros after quitting the Qatari outfit for Beitar Jerusalem in 2005.

Fernandez was told he had until March 4 to settle his dispute with Al Rayyan, with FIFA announcing on Monday that they were satisfied the matter had been put to rest and the 51-year-old could resume his duties with Israel.

“FIFA has announced officially that all the restrictions imposed on Israel’s national coach have been lifted,” a statement on the Israel Football Association’s website said.

“We wish Luis success in the upcoming challenges against Latvia and Georgia.”

Fernandez said he was looking forward to resuming his role with Israel, stating that ‘we all need to concentrate on one thing – winning all six points in the upcoming games against Latvia and Georgia’.

Fourth in Group F of European Championships qualifying with four points from four games, Israel will play Latvia on March 26 and Georgia on March 29 in Tel Aviv.

 


Switch to Snack Football to browse all blogs, videos and new featured content
snack football unit grey closesnack football unit green-tick