According to reports in The Mirror, former Borussia Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel has ruled himself out of the running to potentially replace under-pressure West Ham United boss Slaven Bilic.
Well, The Mirror says that the Irons were considering alternatives to Bilic last month following their poor start to the season, but after a win against Huddersfield Town and a draw against West Bromwich Albion was followed by a 3-2 home defeat by Tottenham Hotspur, he is coming under scrutiny again.
The Mirror says that the out-of-work Tuchel was one of the names that the east London outfit had in their sights if they choose to wield the axe on the Croatian, but the 44-year-old has rejected the interest having been sounded out about a potential move.
The report adds that West Ham are now looking elsewhere as they look to plan ahead with Bilic’s current deal due to run out at the end of the campaign, with Huddersfield’s David Wagner, Fulham’’s Slavisa Jokanovic and even an ambitious move for Napoli’s Maurizio Sarri all possible.
It certainly is, but one they might have expected.
Despite being sacked by Dortmund, Tuchel is still highly-regarded in European football for his methods and his style of football and it would have been quite the coup to bring him to the London Stadium.
On the other hand, the Irons hierarchy may have expected that the 44-year-old would be aiming high when he returns to management considering he has just managed a club as big as Borussia Dortmund.
Well, Bilic faces a potentially make or break home clash with fellow Premier League strugglers Swansea City at the London Stadium on Saturday, and if his team are on the losing side it would seem also certain that he will be on his way out.
The West Ham board will certainly be considering their options very closely right now as they won’t want to be left without a manager for too long if they do decide to act, but one thing is for sure – the new man won’t be Tuchel.