John Terry court case starts

John Terry’s court case for allegedly racially abusing Anton Ferdinand has started, with the court hearing on Monday that the Chelsea defender was goaded into making any possible remarks.

The incident is reported to have happened in a clash between QPR and the Blues at Loftus Road back in October last year, however Terry maintains his innocence.

Opening the prosecution, Duncan Penny said: “The Crown alleges that the defendant, most probably in response to physical gestures being made by Mr Ferdinand which the defendant understood to refer to the well-publicised allegation of an extra-marital affair with a team-mate’s wife, shouted at Mr Ferdinand,” Sky Sports report.

“The Crown’s case is that the words were abusive and insulting in a straightforward sense…and they were uttered as an abusive insult demonstrating hostility based on Mr Ferdinand’s membership of a racial group.”

Meanwhile Ferdinand was asked to tell his story of events, and admits that at first he did not realise what had been said.

“I would have been obviously very hurt and I probably wouldn’t have reacted at the time because, being a professional, you can’t do that. I probably would have let the officials know what happened and dealt with it after the game.

“When someone brings your colour into it, it takes it to another level and it’s very hurtful,” he concluded.

By Gareth McKnight

Comments are closed on this article.