The president of the Kuwait Football Association (KFA) was surprised that Mohammed bin Hammam withdrew from the FIFA presidency elections.On Tuesday, KFA boss Sheikh Talal Fahad Al-Sabah said Bin Hammam’s decision to bow out from the election was unexpected, despite allegations of bribery that were levelled against him by CONCACAF general secretary Chuck Blazer.
Those allegations saw bin Hammam and FIFA vice-president Jack Warner temporarily suspended, but the Asian Football Confederation had already withdrawn from the race to challenge current president Sepp Blatter, who will run for the title unopposed on Wednesday.
“I was surprised to hear that he withdrew from FIFA presidential elections,” Al-Sabah said.
“I was with him lately, and I asked him this question directly and he assured me that he will not withdraw.”
“I was very surprised to hear the news on my way to Zurich, but I think he has his own reasons.”