Liverpool striker Dirk Kuyt has inked a new deal with the club that will keep him at Anfield for another two seasons.The 30-year-old Dutch international had been linked with a move to Inter Milan, but his new agreement with Liverpool will keep him on Merseyside until the end of the 2012-13 season.
Kuyt, who has scored nine times from his 26 games this season, said he was delighted to extend his stay at Liverpool, where he has played since his 2006 transfer from Feyenoord.
“I am very happy,” Kuyt said. “We have been working on something, but always with the intention to reaching an agreement.”
“The club had this approach too, so I must say that all conversations were conducted in a friendly atmosphere.”
“It fits perfectly with the feeling here at the club. From the very first day I walked in, I felt welcome. That feeling has never left.”
Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish was happy the Dutchman had decided to sign a new contract, and said his goal-scoring prowess and style of play epitomised what the Anfield club were all about.
“Dirk is the Liverpool player of choice. He never gives up, fights with everything, and he is simply a good footballer,” Dalglish said.
“He scores goals and it’s as simple as that, and often in major competitions or at crucial moments, like the recent Manchester United game (Kuyt scored a hat-trick in Liverpool’s 3-1 win on March 6).”
“Dirk is happy with the extension, and I am sure we will enjoy having him around longer.”