Leeds boss confident of keeping key man this summer

Leeds United boss Thomas Christiansen has revealed that he is confident of keeping Chris Wood out of the clutches of interested clubs in this summer’s transfer window.

Wood, 25, is believed to have been the subject of a bid from Premier League side Burnley in recent days.

Leeds are said to have rejected the offer from the Clarets, however, as the Championship outfit bid to keep a player that scored 30 goals in all competitions last season.

It is understood that Burnley will return with another bid for the New Zealand international before this transfer window closes for business, but Christiansen believes that his club will reject the interest in their star man.

Christiansen told the Yorkshire Evening Post:

“There’s no doubt that he’s (not) going to leave. “They (other clubs) can come in with many bids – of course he’s a good striker – but I want him to stay and if we want to achieve something this season, you cannot sell your best players.

“Last year he was very important, the top scorer, and this season he will be important. He needs to do it on the pitch with good performances and scoring goals. That’s what we expect but he will, for sure, deliver.”

Wood has already scored once in two Championship appearances for Leeds this season, and is expected to be in the team for Tuesday’s home game against Fulham.

The powerful striker, who moved to Leeds from Leicester City in 2015, has averaged more than one goal every two games for the Whites in all competitions.