Leonardo admitted “I would sack myself” after Inter Milan’s recent losses, but said he is not worried about losing his job.The reigning Italian and European champions were thumped 3-0 by Serie A leaders AC Milan on Saturday in a serious blow to their Scudetto aspirations, and then suffered a 5-2 humiliation at home against German outfit Schalke on Tuesday in a Champions League quarter-final first-leg encounter.
Leonardo, who sparked a remarkable turnaround in Inter’s fortunes after replacing Rafael Benitez in December, said that had he been in a boardroom position he may have sacked himself after their recent form.
“If I had been a director, I probably would have been less kind than the president,” the 41-year-old said.
“At times thinking like a director I would sack myself.”
“But I don’t feel at risk because it’s not part of who I am. I am not afraid of losing my place. If it happens, it happens. But I am sure that we can take the situation in hand again.”
“I have also met the President and it was a calm meeting. We spoke about the things that aren’t working. It was positive for the both of us to start again.”
“The recent defeats have been heavy even if mathematically we are still in the fight.”
“Now we must try to find a solution as quickly as possible, but what has happened has happened and we are looking forward.”