Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Manchester City 1-0 Swansea City – Match Review

Man City's home, EastlandsManchester City recovered from their Champions League hangover to narrowly beat Swansea at the Etihad Stadium, although the victory was marred by injuries to Micah Richards and Michel Vorm.

A stunning second half strike from Carlos Tevez keeps City within touching distance of league leaders Chelsea as they moved up to second in the table above rivals United who tackle the Blues tomorrow afternoon.

However, both Roberto Mancini and Michael Laudrup will be undoubtedly have their minds on the well being of Richards and Vorm, who were both stretched off towards the end forcing referee Martin Atkinson to add a record 12 minutes of stoppage time.

The hosts suffered from defensive indecision during the 3-1 defeat to Ajax in midweek and had to have their wits about them in the early stages, with Richards doing well to clear a Pablo Hernandez cross.

City were then almost gifted the lead but Carlos Tevez was denied by Chio Flores after  Vorm’s poor clearance fell straight to Sergio Aguero. The Dutch keeper did make amends soon after to brilliantly keep out Tevez’s 15-yard strike in the 38th minute.

That came just 90 seconds after Michu thought he’d broken the deadlock after dispatching the ball past Joe Hart but saw his effort chalked off as he was offside when played through by Wayne Routledge.

Hernandez then squandered a glorious opportunity just before half time before Hart was on hand to thwart Michu in the penalty after he latched on to Ki Sung-Yueng’s defence-splitting pass.

After the break the home side improved and almost snatched the lead straight from the kick off but Aguero fire wide when well placed. It was left to Argentine compatriot Tevez to provide City’s moment of inspiration as he fired a 30-yard rasper into the bottom corner to end his eight-game goal drought.

Article title: Manchester City 1-0 Swansea City – Match Review

Please leave feedback to help us improve the site: