Mancini backs Bridge for England

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini does not envisage any international resistance from Wayne Bridge despite the England defender's much-publicised personal problems.

Bridge has been in the media spotlight for the past two weeks after it emerged that former Chelsea team-mate John Terry had been involved in a relationship with his ex-girlfriend.

Terry lost the England captaincy following showdown talks with head coach Fabio Capello last week, while Bridge's own international future has been the subject of much debate in the build-up to the World Cup.

But after regular left-back Ashley Cole picked up a potential season-ending fractured ankle injury on Wednesday night, Bridge could be recalled to the international fold.

The 29-year-old's return – possibly in the friendly against Egypt on March 3 – will lead to questions being asked of the mood in the England camp.

However, Mancini doesn't expect there to be any resistance to play international football from his full-back.

"He never told me that he wouldn't play for England," said the Italian coach. "The national team is important. I have not spoken to him but I think, if he is picked, he will play."

Subscribe to Football FanCast News Headlines by Email