Napoli star plays down talk of £30million Anfield switch

Napoli striker Gonzalo Higuain has talked down the prospect of a £30million move to Liverpool, reports the Daily Star.

The 27-year-old has a £30million release clause in his current contract, and the Reds are reportedly considering activating it this month.

Brendan Rodgers is on the hunt for another centre forward, with his strikers struggling to find the net in the absence of the injured Daniel Sturridge.

Fabio Borini and Rickie Lambert got their first and second Premier League goals of the season respectively, as Liverpool beat Aston Villa on Saturday, and there has been talk of both possibly leaving the club this month.

But Higuain has revealed he is content with the Serie A club, having netted the only goal in Napoli’s 1-0 win over Lazio.

Higuain said: “I am happy here.

“I have a contract here.”

Napoli’s signing of Italy forward Manolo Gabbiadini from Sampdoria last week increased speculation about Higuain’s future at the club, with former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez favouring a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Higuain’s brother – who is also his agent – had previously left the door open for a move away from Naples.

“I’m confident that the team can make third place and then we’ll see about Gonzalo’s future,” he said.

 


Switch to Snack Football to browse all blogs, videos and new featured content
snack football unit grey closesnack football unit green-tick