Corinthians denied that they have reached an agreement with English Premier League club Manchester City over the transfer of Carlos Tevez.The deal for the forward, reportedly worth around 40 million euros, appeared to have been finalised, but a counter-proposal from City is believed to have stalled the transfer.
Corinthians director of football Edu Gaspar had told reporters that he expected the transfer to be sealed by Monday, leaving Tevez free to join the Sao Paulo giants following Argentina’s Copa America elimination on Sunday.
The reports were given further weight still by manager Roberto Mancini, who said an agreement had been reached with Corinthians.
The Brazilian club’s board, however, released a statement on Monday affirming that negotiations were still ongoing, and that a demand from City for an improved offer had delayed confirmation.
“In light of the news published during the early morning reporting an agreement between Corinthians and Carlos Tevez, president Andres Sanchez would like to state publicly that Manchester City have not accepted the Corinthians proposal for the athlete,” the statement read.
“In fact, the club sent Corinthians a counter-proposal this morning, that due to the difference in time-zones only just came to directors’ attention. In this new proposal, the English club have asked for changes in the form of payment as well as in the total value of the transaction.”
“For now, nothing concrete exists with Tevez and that the counter-offer will be analysed by him and by the club.”
Corinthians are keen to seal the return of the Argentine in order to strengthen their assault on the Brazilian Serie A title.
The club are currently top of the standings in Brazil’s top-flight after 10 rounds, and are unbeaten with eight wins.