Out-of-favour Southampton star Ward-Prowse ready to fight for first team spot

According to reports in the Southern Daily Echo, Southampton midfielder James Ward-Prowse says he will be working hard during the international break to try and force his way back into the Saints team in order to boost his chances of representing England again.

The former England Under-21 captain isn’t used to being with his club when there are international fixtures being played having been a regular fixture in the various Three Lions youth teams during his career, but that is the situation he finds himself in now he only qualifies for the senior side.

Despite beginning the season in the starting line-up against Swansea City, the 22-year-old has started just one Premier League match since then, when he was taken off at half-time against in the 2-0 defeat to Watford at St Mary’s.

The midfielder has featured for just 12 minutes in Saints’ last three top flight fixtures, and he will be looking to show manager Mauricio Pellegrino that he deserves to be in the XI when Newcastle United come to St Mary’s on October 15.

Ward-Prowse told the Daily Echo: “I am lucky enough to have had that experience and I want to be back there as quickly as possible, but ultimately I have to be playing at the club to warrant and show the manager I am good enough to be in the England squad.

“I am eager and keen to do that.”

Ward-Prowse was a regular under former boss Claude Puel last term – making 43 appearances in all competitions – and he will be looking to rediscover the form that saw him do that, as well as winning his first senior England cap against Germany in March.