Premier League: Wolves 2 Blackburn 3

Wolves survived relegation by the skin of their teeth despite a 3-2 home defeat to Blackburn that ensures both sides retain their Premier League status.Final day defeats for Blackpool and Birmingham City meant Wolves survived by a point despite a first half capitulation that enabled Rovers to ensure their own safety.

Jason Roberts’ 22nd-minute close-range finish opened the flood gates as Brett Emerton and Junior Hoillet both clinically breached a nervous Wolves defence that collapsed dramatically following a promising start.

As it transpired a draw would have guaranteed both teams another season of top-flight football but neither were willing to run the risk and deployed their wingers in early onslaughts.

Rovers’ Hoillet forced a low save from Wayne Hennessey after teasing his way past Jody Craddock and Chris Samba blocking Stephen Ward’s half volley for Wolves.

After George Elokobi had headed wide for the hosts, Wolves fell apart as Michel Salgado drilled Hoillet’s pullback pass into the area which Roberts re-directed past a flat-footed Hennessey for an instinctive poacher’s finish.

But there was nothing fortuitous about Rovers’ second as Craddock’s clearing header landed straight at Emerton who unleashed a dipping 20-yard volley straight past Wolves’ static rearguard.

Hoillet was inches away from adding an immediate third goal as he rolled his shot narrowly wide but made no mistake as he side-stepped two tackles to effectively seal Blackburn’s safety by halftime and drop Wolves in to the bottom three with just 45 minutes to salvage their season.

Understandably, with Rovers’ own survival party in full swing, Wolves crept back in to it.

Jamie O’Hara reduced the arrears by drilling home a 72nd minute free kick from a Stephen Hunt pass before Fletcher went close with a header seconds later.

Hunt curled home a crucial second goal four minutes from time, and with Birmingham suffering late heartbreak at Tottenham, the Molineux masses breathed a huge sigh of relief.