On Sunday, reports suggested that Remy’s move to Tyneside was nearing completion, but it is now understood that Rangers and another unnamed club have seen their bids of around £8.6 million accepted.
Marseille sporting director Jose Angio confirmed QPR’s interest and said the decision now rests with the player, with the club believed to be able to offer the Frenchman far more in wages than the Magpies.
“The coach of QPR has a good reputation,” Angio told RTL radio. “Remy will talk with them as he discusses with two other clubs. For Remy there is not just Newcastle, we also have an agreement with QPR and one other club. It is up to Remy to decide. I don’t think Remy has shut the door on QPR as is being said everywhere.”
Rangers boss Harry Redknapp had attempted to sign Remy earlier in the window, and was seen in the crowd when Marseille took on Guingamp in the French Cup. However reports also claimed Remy had rejected the manager’s advances after the game, preferring a move to Tyneside.
The news follows earlier comments from Hatem Ben Arfa and Mathieu Debuchy, welcoming their potential new teammate to Newcastle.
“He’s made the right choice. When he’s confident he’s a great forward. He’ll enjoy playing in England,” Ben Arfa said.
Meanwhile full-back Debuchy confirmed that Yohan Cabaye had spoken with Remy on Sunday evening about a possible move to the north east.
“I’m still living with Yo[han] [Cabaye] and Remy telephoned last night.
“Remy asked Cabaye for news of the club and wanted to know how things work and how things are going at Newcastle.”