Rodgers prevented Sterling joining under-21’s

Raheem Sterling, Liverpool wingerLiverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has stated that he is wary that young talent Raheem Sterling could burn out, and advised the FA not to include him in the England under-21 set-up according to The Daily Mail.

The 17-year-old has impressed for the Anfield club so far this campaign and as such was touted for a call-up to Stuart Pearce’s contingent, before it was agreed that he would represent the under-19’s.

The Northern Irish manager is eager to manage Sterling’s workload to avoid injuries and burnout.

“I think with young players you have to be careful,” said Rodgers.

“They can be elevated above their station too quickly. That is a part of it in this country. They have one good game and they get elevated into superstar status.

“You then see them at 23 and 24 and wonder why they are not superstars any more. I spoke to Trevor Booking on the thoughts of where the FA believes Raheem is at. I said, in my opinion, of course he has got the ability to be in the Under-21s.

“But I believe in many ways it is right for him to go with the Under-19s. He was involved with us on Sunday.

“He has met up with England squad now and travelled to play in Germany. It then allows him to come back and recover well before our next game at Sunderland,” the Reds coach concluded.

By Gareth McKnight