Roque Santa Cruz hopes he will now get the chance to impress Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini after a proposed loan switch to Lazio fell through on transfer deadline day.
The former Paraguay international had been expected to leave Eastlands after Mancini told him he would not be part of his first-team plans this season.
However, Santa Cruz hopes that Robinho's permanent move to AC Milan, which was confirmed on Tuesday, will give him a chance to shine.
Lazio had wanted to sign the 29-year-old on a season's loan with a view to a £6.5million permanent move, but Santa Cruz told the Manchester Evening News:"They were there right until the end but they didn't come to an agreement with the club.
"I have heard from the manager he won't be counting on me too much. I heard that a week before the season started and I had time to see if I could arrange a move.
"But in the end the club were happy to keep me and they weren't happy with anything that came through.
"Now I'll try and prove myself in training and I'm looking forward to taking my chances."