Snoods worn out, goal-line technology tests continue

Snoods will be banned, but the jury remains out for goal-line technology after the International Football Association Board met on Saturday.

Football’s lawmaking body met at Newport, Wales and decided to continue testing goal-line technology, with IFAB also approving the use of two additional referees’ assistants during the 2012 European Championships finals after tests of the five-official system in the Europa League were been deemed a success.

One of four FIFA members on the board, Chuck Blazer told The Guardian that the decision to continue testing on goal-line technology was ‘very welcome’.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter confirmed the news, and said the technology could even be used at major tournaments in the near future: “The decision was taken to go on with the experiments, technical experiments, and then to bring back these items back to the IFAB meeting next year in London,” he said.

“Then a final decision will be taken. If it works, and I cannot say because for the time being it will not work, but if it works then definitely I am sure that the board will say yes to the technology.

“If the board says yes to the technology there is no problem in 2012 (at the European Championship) and to have in 2014 (at the World Cup).”

Snoods have proved popular in several of Europe’s biggest leagues this season, but will be banned from July 1.

FIFA had expressed concerns over the new accessory because of player safety, and the neck warmer had been banned at certain clubs, including Manchester United, after Sir Alex Ferguson branded players that wear snoods ‘powder puffs’.

 


Switch to Snack Football to browse all blogs, videos and new featured content
snack football unit grey closesnack football unit green-tick