Vidal has ‘broken his word’, say Bayern

Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness has accused Arturo Vidal of breaking a verbal agreement as the player prepares for a move to Juventus.Earlier on Thursday, the 24-year-old claimed he had sealed his transfer from Bundesliga club Bayer Leverkusen to the Serie A side.

Neither club have declared the move official, but a statement is expected. The turn of events has not pleased Bayern or Hoeness, however, after Vidal reportedly said he would join the Bavarian club after the expiry of his contract at the end of the 2011/12 season.

But Hoeness was still sympathetic to the Chile international, who would have faced a difficult situation had he waited another season to move to Munich.

“(Vidal) has broken his word,” Hoeness told Bild in response to the player’s statement.

“It would have taken great backbone to play at Bayer Leverkusen, having made the statement: I am going to Bayern. And I would not expect the player to have such backbone,” he said according to Spox.

Versatile midfielder Vidal revealed his desire to join Bayen in June, but was left in a stand-off with his employers after Leverkusen insisted they would not sell him to a rival Bundesliga club.

Bild had claimed that Vidal had promised Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes – who led Leverkusen last campaign – by phone that he would only move to Munich, either before the end of the current transfer window or when his contract expired.

“He will not go to Juventus. And also not Lazio or elsewhere. Arturo Vidal will come to Bayern. If not this summer, then the next,” Heynckes said following the alleged phone call.

But as events unfolded, Juve tabled a sufficient offer to both club – reportedly worth 10 million euros – and player and appear to have landed the versatile midfielder.

 


Switch to Snack Football to browse all blogs, videos and new featured content
snack football unit grey closesnack football unit green-tick