Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 Stoke City – Match Review

Stoke secured four successive top-flight wins for the first time since 1981 coming from behind to beat Wolves and heap more pressure on manager Mick McCarthy.

Peter Crouch was the match winner for Tony Pulis’ side heading home with 20 minutes remaining to cap an impressive comeback after Steven Hunt’s penalty gave the home side an early lead. A Kevin Doyle own goal levelled proceedings before Crouch struck to put his side within three points of sixth. Wolves on the other hand missed a golden opportunity to put some distance between themselves and the bottom three with this defeat further heightening their relegation fears. McCarthy’s side are hovering just a point above the drop zone following a run of four defeats in five and crumbled once again after conceding with the equaliser allowing Stoke to gain the upper hand and go onto win the game. Things looked rosy for the home side after Hunt converted from the penalty spot to open the scoring and gave them something to build on in an impressive first half.

Matt Jarvis was the architect weaving his way into the box before being felled by Jonathan Woodgate who could have few complains about referee Anthony Taylor’s decision to award a spot kick. Hunt stepped up to confidently fire the ball past Thomas Sorensen from 12-yards to put the hosts a goal to the good. The midfielder was then denied a second goal by a superb save from the Danish keeper as Wolves looked anything but a team threatened by the spectre of falling into the bottom three. However Stoke were anything but out of the game and almost restored parity with Wayne Hennessey proving equal to Matthew Etherington’s close range effort.

The home side failed to heed the warning going into the second half and it took only 13 minutes for the visitors to level the game with Robert Huth’s free kick heading wide before being inadvertently turned into his own net by Doyle.┬áThe stage was set for a dramatic winner and it was the Potters who grabbed it to complete a superb turnaround with Crouch silencing the Molineux crowd. The England striker was well placed to guide Etherington’s cross beyond Hennessey in the Wolves goal and secure a fourth consecutive win for the first time in over 30-years.