The Only Way Is Easy for Wolves

The words comfortable and win are not 2 words that have been associated with Wolves over the last 5 or so years, and so when it happens it makes it all the more sweeter.

With the Backary Sako fiasco of the week just past, there was always a chance that the side would be unsettled, despite Colchester being without 11 first team players for the match up.

However, with new signing from Millwall James Henry starting on the right of midfield, the team looked much more balanced than they had since the arrival of Golbourne, and the subsequent shuffling around of the defence.

Since Richard Stearman was dropped, we have not had anyone who can bring the ball out of defence comfortably, which has had a knock on effect in midfield.

Indeed the names of Stearman and Henry on a team sheet for Wolves would not have been greeted with such pleasure at the start of AugustĀ in a break from what has been the norm of the last few weeks, Wolves didnt start the game looking like they would sit on the edge of the box and invite pressure onto themselves, letting the opposition have the ball.

Here there was a clear eagerness to get the ball down and actually pass it around. Not just out left to Sako and hope something happens, but to both wings and through the middle.

As early as the 7th minute James Henry was tormenting the Colchester full back and his pass to Price and then Griffiths could have led to an early lead if the striker hadnt fluffed his lines.

However the breakthrough came on 20 minutes when Taylor gave away a penalty when Matt Doherty was scythed down in the area.

And, in the absence of the aforementioned Sako, Griffiths stepped up to slot home.

This is not to say it had been all wolves at this point with Colchester having a few pops at Ikeme’s goal, but none that troubled the Wolves number 13.

Within a minute of the restart the score was 2-0 after Doherty cut the ball back for Griffiths who stroked the ball into the net

The 3rd came when Henry delivered a delightful chip from right hand side but this time the impressive Kevin Doyle was on hand to control and slot the ball into the ColU net.

For all intents and puropese the game was dead and buried, with the remaining 35 minutes being played out as more of a friendly than a Skybet League 1 encounter.

The final piece of action however came 6 minutes from time when a penalty was awarded.

Without seeing a replay I have absolutely no idea what for. And neither did the 300 or so people around me in the stand on the side, or the 1,800 behind the goal.

Ikeme with a double save and a clearance with his fist, the ball had been cleared.

It made as much sense as the pint of Gladness lager beer I had consumed earlier that day in Braintree.

Regardless, when Freddy Sears stepped up to take the spot kick, no-one in the Weston Homes Community stadium would have foreseen what was to come.

A brilliant 2 handed diving save to his right which has to be up there with one of the saves off the season in any division.

Both Kevin Doyle and James Henry were replaced late in the game with David Davis and Anthony Forde respectively with both receiving standing ovations, not just from the Wolves travelling contingent, but the majority of the Colchester fans who had witnessed their team being well and truly outplayed.

Not since the demoliton of Gillingham in the fledgling weeks opf the season had Wolves looked so dominant and comfortable,and all this without our supposed best player and matchwinner, Backary Sako.