Loads of Liverpool fans have been reacting on Twitter following a hugely concerning report from The Daily Mail, which suggests Reds attacker Mo Salah could miss up to four months of the 2020/21 campaign.
The report says that while manager Jurgen Klopp already has to contend with losing the Egypt international for the Africa Cup of Nations, the potential rescheduling of the Olympic Games to Spring 2021 could cause yet more disruption.
The Daily Mail says officials are desperately looking for a slot for the prestigious event in the calendar after it was postponed this summer, with Salah and his country expected to attend.
Calling all FFC readers! Raise money for charities and bring together communities this Saturday the 28th at 3pm by taking part in the #FLYTHEFLAG campaign. Click this banner to find out how you can get involved.
It has been reported previously that Egypt coach Shawky Gharib said he would be picking the 27-year-old, though it remains to be seen whether the postponement now affects that.
Being without a player who has scored 91 goals in 144 games for the Merseyside outfit for that period of time would obviously be a huge blow, however a couple of Reds supporters didn’t seem too worried, as you can see below.
One still believes that he would end up as top goalscorer even if he missed four months, which is a bold, if probably tongue-in-cheek, claim.
And will still end up top goal scorer ❤️👀
— – LFC – (@LIVERPOOLBOUND) March 27, 2020
— – (@JurgenKloppLFC_) March 27, 2020
Other Liverpool supporters brought potential signings into the equation, with one urging them to secure primary transfer target Timo Werner as soon as possible to cover for the potential absence of Salah.
Another said as long as they sign either one of the Germany international or Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho, it wouldn’t be an issue.
The duo are clearly great players, but Salah’s boots are still big ones to fill for any player and they would need to hit the ground running like the African did when he arrived from Roma.
So long as we get a Werner or a sancho it won’t be a problem 👍
— ً (@Ifcdan) March 27, 2020
Get Timo Werner asap
— Neefehmie (@dexpensivedude) March 27, 2020
Others believe that something will have to give when it comes to the tournaments because of what is happening in the world.
One fan said that they think the Africa Cup of Nations, due to be held at the beginning of 2021, will be postponed, while another said that they don’t have to let him go to the Olympic Games.
It seems pretty clear that Egypt want him in Tokyo, but if Liverpool don’t then it could come down to whether the player himself pushes to be involved or not.
The Olympics isn’t professional so we don’t have to let him go to that.
— Modio Sane (@ModioSane) March 27, 2020
I think they will defer afcon
— David Goulbourn (@DavidGoulbourn1) March 27, 2020
In other Liverpool news, the Reds should have no regrets over 2015 exit, even if the player is now rated at £144m…