Newcastle United could be in line to add to their summer spend in the coming weeks, with further additions said to be on the cards.
According to Sky Sports reporter Keith Downie – speaking to GIVEMESPORT – the Magpies are said to be chasing two more signings before the September deadline to help strengthen the attack, having already brought in three new additions thus far.
The club insider stated: “Whether it’s a permanent deal or a loan we’ll have to wait and see. I’ve been saying this all window long, but I still fully expect them to bring in a striker and a winger before the window’s out.
“I would be amazed if both of them are permanent signings, unless they’re able to keep the prices down. I still would expect one to be permanent and one to be a loan.”
The northeast side have recently been linked with a move for Leeds United winger Jack Harrison, while Real Sociedad’s Alexander Isak and Bayer Leverkusen’s Moussa Diaby had been forward targets prior to the Premier League side walking away from the deals due to the hefty asking prices.
Despite securing the notable marquee arrival of Sven Botman – as well as completing deals for Nick Pope and Matt Targett – the current window has perhaps not delivered the excitement that was expected for those of a Newcastle persuasion, with Financial Fair Play restrictions seemingly taking their toll.
Unable, or rather unwilling, to dish out vast sums of cash to land potential targets, the St James’ Park outfit have thus far been left frustrated in their attempts to bolster Eddie Howe’s forward line, with the former Bournemouth boss left with the same attacking options as he had last term.
That fact mattered little as the 44-year-old oversaw a commanding 2-0 victory over newly-promoted Nottingham Forest on Saturday, although in the long run, the lack of further acquisitions could well come at a cost, with increased depth needed to help support the likes of Callum Wilson and Allan Saint-Maximin.
Downie’s claim, however, should inspire hope that the club can end the window with a bang and get a couple of forward players through the door, with anticipation among supporters only set to build as deadline day draws closer.
Having recruited so astutely back in January, it is proving a far trickier window this time around for PIF, albeit with the new owners seemingly taking the wise approach of not being lulled into paying over the odds, even if it means Howe’s squad being left somewhat short.
That said, a new forward is evidently needed with Wilson’s injury problems last term well documented and Chris Wood’s move failing to bear fruit with the New Zealand international scoring just twice. Therefore, any upgrade would surely delight the Toon Army and ensure they end the window in a thrilling, swashbuckling fashion. After all, the addition of a shiny new striker never fails to get pulses racing within the footballing world.
Whether the calm, level-headed strategy of before continues as the weeks progress remains to be seen, however, with the growing desperation for further additions potentially set to lead to late fireworks in the market.