Craig Hope has revealed that Belgium boss Roberto Martinez is now in the frame to take over the vacant manager’s job at Newcastle United.
As was to be expected, a number of names have already been linked with the job left by Steve Bruce earlier on Wednesday, with former AS Roma manager Paulo Fonseca among those to be touted.
But, while Hope indicated that Fonseca has been spoken to by the club, Martinez has now also emerged as a possible contender, and that the early signs are that he would be interested in becoming the new Magpies boss.
He said: “One thing said to me y’day re next NUFC boss is that odds on Fonseca are reflective of fact they’ve spoken to him, but that could change if/when they speak to others. Roberto Martinez also in frame. He’s interested & it would cost less than £2m to buyout Belgium contract.”
While Martinez may be leading the world’s number one ranked side in Belgium, that hasn’t actually translated into any considerable trophy success.
They lost in the semi-finals of the World Cup back in 2018 which was his first tournament in charge and were defeated 2-1 by Italy in the quarter-finals of the EUROs earlier this summer.
His record at domestic level is arguably even more worrying and what will really cause Magpies fans to be up in arms.
Despite winning the FA Cup with Wigan, he did get the Latics relegated from the Premier League, while a period of lavish spending in his next job at Everton couldn’t deliver any trophies there.
His best-placed finish at Goodison Park was fifth, but he ended up losing his job on Merseyside in May 2016 after leaving them 12th in the table with just one game remaining.
Martinez’s record as manager isn’t something to really shout home about, and the fact he’s been out of the club scene for a number of years now is surely an asterisk too.
Hope’s update on the Spaniard being in the frame for the job at St James’ Park is surely not going to have Newcastle fans happy.