Harry Redknapp is currently working on strengthening his Tottenham squad in an attempt to ensure that they can fight on four fronts (Premier League, Carling Cup, FA Cup and the UEFA Champions League), but who should he bring to White Hart Lane?
Here are five players that I think Tottenham should sign this summer:
1. Micah Richards: Has not had the best of times at Manchester City since the new owners and recent influx of players, but Richards was once considered as one of England’s most promising young defensive prospects.
The defender is still only 22-years-old and many believe he just needs a manager who has faith in him to get him back to his best, could Redknapp be that man?
If Spurs could get him at a good price he’d definitely be worth a punt, especially as he can operate at centre-back and right-back. With Ledley King and Jonathan Woodgate’s individual injury problems a player like Richards could prove vital to fill in for them in what would be an more congested fixture list next season.
2. Arda Turan: The promising Turkey international had originally stated his desire to sign for Liverpool, but the Merseyside club are suffering financially and Spurs may be able to steal the 23-year-old from them.
Turan like most Turkish players is best known by his first name Arda currently plays for Galatasaray where he is the team’s captain. He has scored 37 goals and made 67 assists in 170 appearances.
If Redknapp decides that he wants to move Gareth Bale back into a left-back position then Arda could be the perfect player to come in and operate on the left wing.
Arda burst onto the scene in 2008 after his impressive performances in the European Championships for Turkey. The most notable performance was helping his side come back from 2-0 down against the Czech Republic to win 3-2 and he was voted 8th in a list of the 100 Best Young Football Players in the World, by a Spanish magazine Don Balon.
3. Keisuke Honda: The 24-year-old Japan forward was his country’s most impressive player during the World Cup in South Africa and I think he could do a job in the Premier League.
Honda currently plays for Russian club CSKA Moscow where he mainly operates as an attacking midfielder, but he can play up front or even as a left fullback.
It would be a slightly odd/quirky signing if it ever came to pass, but he is a useful player and could also be worth a lot to Spurs on a commercial level as it will increase shirt sales in Asia, which is the largest market in the world.
To see who the next two players are click here:
4. Joe Cole: Many Spurs fans are split over the Cole issue as some do not want him to come in and replace Luka Modric, but the fact that he is available on a free makes him a great signing for any club.
Cole would want to prove a lot of people wrong as some critics have accused him of being greedy and injury prone. The 28-year-old would also bring a lot to White Hart Lane in terms of his experience of winning silverware and he has played plenty of Champions League football.
Also, the former Blues midfielder has shown his versatility during his career and could fill in on either flank, in the middle and can also operate behind the forwards as he did at West Ham.
5. Diego Forlan: The only bad thing about the Uruguayan is probably his age at 31, but it’s clear that Tottenham need a top quality goal scorer and there isn’t many better than Forlan.
I believe the forward has a good few years in him and would be a great signing at the right price.
Forlan would be returning to the Premier League a different player to the one that left Manchester United a few years ago as he has now become one of the most prolific strikers in Europe. Forlan became the first player to win the Pichichi Trophy (La Liga top scorer) twice since Ronaldo, who achieved the feat in 2003/04.
He has also been in impressive form for Uruguay in the World Cup and his goals have helped an unfancied side into the semi-finals.
Who would the Tottenham fans like to see arrive at White Hart Lane this summer and what are their expectations for the season ahead?