Although Mathieu Debuchy’s move to Arsenal has yet to be confirmed, it is believed that he will soon make the switch after having successfully completed his medical. The French right-back was impressive in Brazil at the World Cup where he starred for his nation.
Currently a Newcastle United player, it could be real soon that we see Debuchy complete his move to the Emirates, where he will officially become a Gunner.
In light of his imminent arrival at the club, here are FIVE reasons to be excited about his highly likely switch.
• He is the number one right back for the France national team
• He won the French Ligue 1 and French Cup in the 2011-2012 season
• Named in the Ligue 1 Team of the Year 2011-2012
• When compared to the likes of four other Premier League right backs, Debuchy has more interceptions and blocks per game and is ranked third when it comes to tackles won.
• The fact that Newcastle finished tenth place shows that Debuchy has the quality of a right-back from the top five teams
• When compared to the four other right backs in an attacking sense, Debuchy has the second most assists, second highest goals tally and is ranked highest on shots.
• These stats show that he can find space to get shots onto the opponents’ goal, proving that he can also be a threat on the attack
When you have defender who can power forward and become a threat in the attacking half, it means the team can add a surprise addition to their forward line, someone their opponent isn’t aware of. And yes, Debuchy can really strike a football.
A player can only become a club favourite if he has full support from his team-mates as well as his fan base. With acts like this one, it won’t be long until the Gunners’ faithful warm to their new man.