It is simply ridiculous for a man of Steven Gerrard ’s caliber to be doubted. Gerrard is one of the best footballers (a complete player) of his generation with everything in his armour. Pass, shoot, tackles, headers, goals, vision, strength…you name it, he has got it all. It would not surprise me if we put him in goal and he takes Pepe’s place too. He is a world class midfielder and he will be vital for everything Liverpool will do next season. Every footballer goes through a rough patch in their career and yes we played better football towards the second half of the season when Gerrard was injured but this certainly does not mean we are a better team without Steven Gerrard. We can only get better and stronger with him coming back into the team and we should be optimistic about how good we can get having him back rather than dwelling on the negatives. I think Stevie will be back with all guns blazing and the contributing factors will be:
1) Fitness : After his groin operation which was a successful one last season, he is claiming he feels fitter than ever and very confident about his physical condition. This is brilliant news for Liverpool because these niggling injuries have certainly taken their toll over him and he has not been performing to his capability. If he is as fit as he is claiming and is to have a strong season appearance wise, it will certainly help our cause to finish in the top 4 and higher.
2) Mentality : This break from football, the longest since he made his debut for LFC at the young age of 18 was a much needed one. Physically he seemed drained but he needed a break from football mentally as well. It takes a lot mentally playing week in week out for as long as he has done and this break can only do him a world of good. Having a wee bit more time for his social life can only benefit him. He will be back fresher not only in terms of his physical fitness but also fresher and sharper in terms of mentality.
3) Motivation : Motivation plays a major role in a footballer’s performance and with King Kenny at the helm we can rest assure that there will be no lack of motivation (which happened during Roy’s 6 months in charge). There will be a burning desire to go all out and achieve what has eluded the Anfield trophy cabinet over the past to two decades and what we believe is our birth right. I am not saying Steven Gerrard lacks that motivation but simply stating that there will be that extra bit of it with Kenny back and with everything that has happened surrounding the club.
4) Transfers : One world class player can only do so much in a team sport like football. There have been times when Steive has single handedly lifted the team to victory most famously in Istanbul(05) and Wembley(07). Adding a few more top players this summer will take the burden and responsibility from Gerrard which can only be better for him and the team ultimately. This will be a major factor in our title charge.
5) Kenny Dalglish : King Kenny is Liverpool through and through and he understands the Liverpool way better than anyone else. Dalglish’s achievement both as a player and as a manager commands the respect which Hodgson could never get from the players or the fans. Everyone looks up to Kenny and he brings in the motivation and desire to play for him which Roy failed to do and thus struggled. After a dismal reign of the bloody cowboys, we needed a leader who could steady the ship and keep his calm when everything around him was in utter chaos and since the arrival of Dalglish he has been nothing but that. He is an idol for the fans, an inspiration for all the players, a hero for everyone connected to Liverpool Football Club and is a living legend. This will be a influentional factor for Steven and the team next season.
6) Owners and Stabilty : Now that everything on and off the pitch seems stable and we have stopped making the headlines for all the wrong reasons we look to be heading towards the right direction. Now we seem to have owners who understand what our club means to the fans and are interested in the well fare of the club and not just in making profit. For the local boys (Stevie and Carra) who are so attached to the club, it does matter how the club is being and it will have an impact on them. So now with everything in place we can look towards a bright and successful future.
7) And finally Man Utd breaking our title record :
It was a very painful day for all related to LFC when ManU claimed the 19th title. It was heart breaking to see them go past us and claim what seemed to be near impossible two decades ago. But let’s face it, we certainly have not been good enough and have ourselves to blame for this. Born and bred in the red half of Merseyside, Steven Gerrard will want nothing more than to break United’s record and get LFC back on top where we belong. There will be a fire in his belly next season as this determination will drive him more than ever. Manchester United beating us for the 19th title will only make him hungrier for success. He will be ready for all challenges that comes his way and he should have a sensational season.
So we will surely be back not to knock Manchester United off their perch as Fergie once claimed to do to Liverpool but we will be back to take what is ours.
This article was written by Bikesh Shrestha and is courtesy of our partner website ourkop.com